Saturday, July 18, 2009

books on shelves.

R and I hit Konstmuseet Göteborg earlier this week and both loved the same piece of art. It was an Ikea Expedit bookshelf. We knew this because a) we are in Sweden, so everything is Ikea and b) R actually works as a visual merchandiser at the Ikea in Melbourne, which pretty much makes her an expert. So, the Expedit had books artistically arranged and glued onto the shelves, with the spines of the books facing the wall. Sounds kind of lame as I describe it, but what made it so lovable for me was that the artist had gone and sawed the shelf and the books in half so that they were half as deep, only sticking out about 4 inches from the wall. I imagine this doesn't make sense, I tried to explain it to T for 20 minutes in the car on the way home that day, but trust me, it looked very neat and I am going to re-create it in a smaller version for our apartment (which we have yet to find). I tried to search for an image of it since I only have one on my phone and am not tech-savvy enough to email it to myself or something like that, but no dice. I did, however, end up coming across these pretty sweet bookshelves as consolation prizes.


'NUREYEV' the circular bookcase, by roderick vos.


clever! books glued together to make the shelf, by not tom.

No comments: